So when I was able to put together one Christmas activity we did a service project!
I printed out a list of Urgent Needs from a local shelter called 'The Road Home" and passed it out a couple of weeks before our activity. I told the girls they needed to bring 2 items from home and bring 2 dollars (that they've earned and they can earn it at my house) to spend at the dollar store.
Then I talked and talked and talked about it and was so glad when so many girls showed up that Wednesday. We decorated some pillow cases which is what the Road Home uses to pass out personal hygiene kits, gathered up what the girls brought with them and headed to the Dollar Store.
As we walked into the dollar store at least 2 other Young Women groups walked in with us. Another leader and I walked through together and she said, 'looks like we all have the same idea'. I replied, 'yes isn't service great'. She gave me a funny look and I later realized their girls were all buying gifts for each other. I was even more proud of my girls after that!!
I was amazed at how thoughtful the girls were while looking for items at the dollar store. They picked out practical gifts and talked about how grateful they were to have so much!!
After we were done we went back to the church and had some treats the girls brought with them and talked a bit about our experience. We are going to the same shelter in January to spend an evening doing a craft with the kids but after that I hope I have the opportunity to plan more service projects. I have a list....


What a great idea! I am so glad you are thinking about doing so many service projects. I completely agree with you! It's amazing how old some of those girls are getting! I can't believe they are in YW's! It's crazy!
ReplyDelete