Friday, August 27, 2010

Early Mornings

When I say early morning I mean 'early' morning. 2, 3, 4, o'clock in the morning. That seems to be when Afton wakes up lately. She doesn't usually cry anymore when she wakes up. She just stands there saying, Mom? Momma? Mommy?. And of course my heart melts and I can't resist.

I find it amazing though that I can transition from a deep (much needed) sleep into being wide awake and on my feet! Sometimes she's fussing, getting comfortable, or dreaming about something wonderful (I like to think) but sometimes she just stands there softly calling for me.

I can usually change her diaper (unless she's wearing her panda p.j.'s because heaven forbid I take them off), get her a little milk and cuddle until she's ready to get back in her crib. She can put herself back to sleep but must need some reassurance before that happens.

She did have FOUR teeth poke through last week which would explain a lot but sometimes it's random and I find myself back in bed at 5:30 in the morning wide awake and exhausted (how is that possible) wondering why my hair was ruined (again) or how I am going to become a professional photographer.

No matter what time, there's no sweeter sound than that little voice calling out a name I thought I might never hear, Mom? Momma? Mommy?

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. Your way with words is perfect, and I know just what you mean about needing to get up to that little call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the Mom I need to be. You always remind me that I should be more grateful about being a Mom by the way you interact with you sweet Afton. I would probably be so mad if I heard Mom that early in the morning. You are amazing-I want to be just like you.

    ReplyDelete