Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Six Long Years and California

I can't think of a better place than the beach to spend a wedding anniversary. Brett and I have been married six years! We have been through a lot and are fortunate to still hold hands once in a while - especially after the journey to Cali.
We left at night thinking Afton would nurse and sleep on the plane. The Salt Lake airport wasn't too bad but for some reason neither of us had eaten dinner and therefore were already grumpy. We boarded the plane and Afton was already acting tired. We knew Afton would most likely be into everything and saying hi to everyone as usual but for some crazy reason we thought our plan might work. I fed Afton during take off and she DID fall asleep until........ I moved my seat back (which was about ten minutes after she fell asleep). Well that woke up her so now she is awake and sooooo sleepy she can't keep her eyes open. But somehow she did. She was glassy eyed and fussy and Brett and I just kept looking at each other. We really wanted our first plane ride to go smooooothly! Anyway - she stayed awake the entire flight and once we landed in L.A. we couldn't wait to get off the plane. Oh Wait - we aren't going anywhere! The pilot said there was a "plethora" of problems and we would be unable to exit the plane for quite some time.
Well sometime ended up being almost 45 minutes later!
Once off the plane we grabbed our bags and headed to catch the shuttle to the rental car company. 10 minutes, 20 minutes 30 minutes and Afton is still awake in her stroller in the middle of LAX. If anyone has been there it is loud, stinky, and dirty. By now she looks completely stoned, her eyes glazed and her arms slumped over the front of the stroller. Aghhh
Talk about feeling helpless - all I wanted to do was scoop her up and deliver her from this madness.
So onto the rental car - not coming. We checked our reservations on the phone and they said they had us down and were picking us up. The only thing they forgot to mention was that they CLOSED at 11:00 and didn't care if our plane was delayed. So now we are jumping (in slow motion) onto some random shuttle and we end up at Budget Rent a Car. We walk in to a line - it's now around 1 am and wait our turn only to have the guy behind the desk tell us we have to CALL THEM to make a reservation. What the....
So we are standing in front of the Budget guy calling to make a reservation. We finally get it worked out and then they brought out the 'toy' car seat and I wanted to cry. You should have seen it. Nasty and little and awful.
So... plane fiasco over, rental car rented, baby who did finally sleep through the rental car mumbo jumbo is awake again and it's off to find food. McDonald's has never tasted so good.
Bellies full - off to Dana Point which I probably failed to mention is still an hour away. So we reached our final destination around 3 am. Only three hours off track. Needless to say by the time we arrived Brett and I weren't happy.
Happy Anniversary my #%$!
Moving on - we got over it and had a fun vacation and we even ventured out for a little dinner for two! We are grateful to have a new addition this year and we love every minute with her. I couldn't ask for a better husband and he is an AMAZING dad to little Afton!



Afton LOVES her cousins Tally and Holden!


Brett and Tally riding the waves in California!



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I can't believe its' been six years already! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete