Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Playhouse

I'd been thinking about getting Afton a plastic playhouse for quite a while. I hadn't started looking online yet but I knew Afton was ready and so when I drove by a huge yard sale on Main Street in Lehi I knew I had to stop. It was actually Friday night as I drove by so I dragged Brett and Afton along the next morning. Right in front there were multiple playhouses and Afton went straight over. She loved them all! I had a friend mention that the guys in charge weren't very good at negotiating and had a tendency to price everything too high so as Brett walked over I wondered... $100 was the asking price. I couldn't believe it. The one Afton wanted was obviously old and used and the guy wouldn't budge.

We left with Afton crying and I started looking online as we ran to the nursery. Once home I thought I'd use FB (which I never use) and get the word out. I wrote that we were shopping for a plastic playhouse and within 4 hours I got a call from my sweet friend Rachel who's daughter I taught a few years ago in 1st grade. She had put my post on her wall and received an immediate response.

I called the gal and by 9:00 that night we had a playhouse. The story gets ever better because the playhouse is pink, purple, and white, and Barbie! It was practically brand new and FREE!! Tatum, the gal who owned it before talked with me on the phone and said their basement had flooded and everything had been removed. A lot was damaged and many items were loaded up to go the DI. The playhouse included. For some reason she asked her husband to pull it out of the pile and leave it home. It wasn't assembled anymore but had zero water damage and hadn't ever been outside or even played with in years. She told me she had a feeling to keep it and I posted on FB the very next day.

When Brett went to pick it up he couldn't believe how nice it was and said Tatum wouldn't accept any money. Afton's face absolutely lit up when she saw it and we had so much fun the next day putting it together. She had breakfast out there and couldn't be happier.

I have since talked with Tatum and she told me the playhouse was a gift for her daughter when she was 3. It was given to her by her grandma who recently passed away. The daughter is now 15 and Tatum said the two of them cried when they saw the pictures I posted on FB.









Posted by Picasa

1 comment: