Today I took Afton to Farm Country at Thanksgiving Point. It is one of her favorite spots. She loves going for a pony ride. She loves feeding the ducks and the chickens. She loves putting her quarter in the slot to get the corn. She likes to turn the knob and makes me put my hands underneath to retrieve the falling corn.
It was a little chilly today but we wandered aimlessly enjoying the spurts of sunshine.
The farm was full but we seemed to float in between pockets of people and Afton had plenty of time and space to wander, run, climb, investigate, and laugh. At times she tried to play with some of the kids but they would eventually run to catch their group and Afton would move on as well.
Most of the crowd belonged to a field trip or two.
For so many years I would bring my First Graders here for our spring field trip and as I would wander with my class I would see mom's with strollers and snacks and toddlers running this way and that. I have to say I was a little envious. My future as a mom wasn't so certain and I wanted to be in their position.
The mom's seemed so care free, just wandering around following their children, enjoying the sun, talking to other mom's. I wanted that.
So today as I watched the school children with their teachers and parent helpers I found myself thinking back to my own field trips and was so unbelievably grateful that I am now the mom wandering the farm with snacks and a rowdy little toddler. I was so glad I didn't have an agenda or a bus to catch. Just time with my favorite little person to do whatever we wanted, at any pace, for any amount of time.
I love teaching and I'm sure I'll go back someday but as long as I have a little person to share my days with I will be home soaking up the sun, riding ponies, feeding ducks and being grateful!
You put that so well. I remember having the same feeling on field trips.
ReplyDelete