Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bear Lake

Bear Lake was a little strange this year. Everyone was scattered and we all seemed to be doing different things at different times. It was as windy as always and having Afton around changed the trip entirely for me.

Brett and I rented a condo this year. It was great. I packed Afton's blankets and bunnies and of course we had to have her Kipper DVD. When we were at the condo I didn't feel as stressed because Afton watched cartoons and was able to take care of herself a little bit. Once we got outside she was a hazard. I know I hovered the entire trip but everything seemed dangerous. The water, the fire pit, the sharp edges jutting out from the trailers, the cousins zooming by on their bikes, the hot grills, and a handful (at least) of other dangers lurked around every corner.

Halfway through the trip Afton fell off the monkey bars and landed flat on her back. As she hit the ground she somehow bit a hole in the middle of her tongue and was bleeding enough to really scare me. I scooped her up and carried her to camp. She was crying, breathing funny, and holding very still. We ended up giving her a blessing and taking her to a nice doctor who saw us after hours in his clinic. Afton had a bruised back and the doctor couldn't emphasize enough how lucky we were she didn't land in any other position. We finally got back to the room and she slept until about 5:30. I gave her more medicine and put her in bed with me. Even though I didn't really sleep much after that I was happy to have some snuggle time with my baby girl.

Afton took two naps on the boat and loved honking the horn and holding the steering wheel. She is a little fish just like her dad and didn't seem to mind the cold Bear Lake water. I didn't even get in above my knees! Oh well.



Right outside our condo there was a fun little bridge. Afton was drawn to it so I used it as a chance to work on my photography. I love taking pictures and am hoping to continue to improve my skills and get a new lens soon!
Hint Hint Brett! :)


The last day a few of us decided to go to a cave I have always wanted to visit. We drove through a beautiful canyon and once we arrived we learned the next tour wasn't until two and it was only 12:30. Brett and I didn't think Afton would last through the wait and then the tour so we wandered around, ate some lunch and left for home.
The girls had fun watching the chipmunks while drinking their blue sugar water (somehow Afton had a half full drink in her hand most of the trip - hmmmm)!

1 comment:

  1. OH MY!! How scary, so glad that Afton is okay! Do you have an SLR? If so, what do you have? What's your fave lens? We went to the cave and had to wait about an hour or so before our tour and we arrived about 10:30 am.

    ReplyDelete